What’s a Substation Technician?
Substation technicians play a vital role in ensuring that businesses, institutions and homeowners have the electrical power needed to maintain their operations.
In order to acquire the necessary skills of the trade, the substation technician apprentice shall be provided with employment in the following categories:
- Construct protective grounding grids for electrical systems, controls, cabinets, transformers, control houses, fences and steel structures
- Install foundations and bases for control cabinets, transformers, control houses and steel structures
- Be trained in digging trenching, rebar construction, utility locations and conduit installation
- Layout and build protective parameters and/or security fences for substation and public protection
- Understand the minimum approach distance while working in the vicinity of energized circuits
- Plan and layout work from blueprints, diagrams or utility specification sheets
- Cable pulling, coding, wiring and termination of cables for electrical systems, control monitoring and communication with the substation and outside sources
- Erect steel support structures for high voltage electrical apparatus
- Construct steel control houses for monitor and switching